Thursday 26 May 2016

Sarah Raven's Rhubarb Syllabub



 Thank You Sarah!





Sarah Raven is best known for her gardens, plants and books on gardens. She has an amazing website - here.  She is also a great cook! This dessert is to die for. I am not a particular fan of rhubarb and have never tasted syllabub before but this dessert is amazing and fairly easy to make. This is the recipe found online ... I varied it ever so slightly in that I left out the four cardamom pods - not being a fan of their particular taste. I also used the microwave to cook the rhubarb to speed up the process. So this is the recipe that I followed - slightly:


Ingredients:
Rhubarb
1 orange juice and zest
100g caster sugar
6 stick of rhubarb
4 star anise

Ingredients:
Syllabub
250 ml double cream
1 lemon juice and zest
100g caster sugar

Method:
Cook the orange juice and zest, the caster sugar and the rhubarb along with star anise until well cooked. I did mine in the microwave for about four minutes. Drain the syrup and put in a saucepan. Place the strained rhubarb into glass dishes, (sundae dishes or just plain glasses), and leave to cool after removing the star anise.

In the saucepan, along with the orange juice and zest add the lemon juice and zest and remaining sugar and bring to the boil and boil rapidly until a thick syrup is achieved. Cool the mixture.

Meanwhile beat the double cream, and gently combine with the cooled syrup.  Top the rhubarb mixture with the syllabub. Chill and enjoy!


Sarah Raven says "This is a classic spring pudding - easy and quick to make - as well as being light, frothy and delicious". She is so right. She also suggests that this recipe is suitable for 6 - 8 persons - she is so wrong. I made two huge glasses full and we ate the lot!












1 comment:

  1. My mouth is watering! I love lemon syllabub, and love rhubarb - but am trying to lose weight and I think I could easily eat the whole lot!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

If you like anything you see do leave me a message to let me know.