Friday 9 July 2010

Pink Geraniums

Pink Geraniums

The geraniums in my garden are looking so delicate and beautiful this year. I searched for a poem to go with this pretty photo and the only thing I could find was a nonsense poem by Mervyn Peake, which I had never heard before.





THE TROUBLE WITH GERANIUMS


The trouble with geraniums
is that they’re much too red!
The trouble with my toast is that
it’s far too full of bread.

The trouble with a diamond
is that it’s much too bright.
The same applies to fish and stars
and the electric light.

The troubles with the stars I see
lies in the way they fly.
The trouble with myself is all
self-centred in the eye.

The trouble with my looking-glass
is that it shows me, me;
there’s trouble in all sorts of things
where it should never be.

Mervyn Peake



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you like anything you see do leave me a message to let me know.