Wednesday 28 July 2010

Dame (Alice) Ellen Terry 1847 - 1928

My Favourite Painting

Dame Ellen Terry by G.F. Watts

This beautiful painting is in The National Portrait Gallery in London. It is of the actress Dame Ellen Terry and was painted in 1863 when she was at the tender age of seventeen by George Frederick Watts who later became her husband although thirty years her senior. She gave up her acting career to marry him the year following the sitting and when the marriage crumbled barely one year later returned to the stage. There are several equally as stunning pictures of her in the Gallery. She was just so beautiful ... this caught my imagination because of the colours and has inspired me to buy some equally dark fabric to team with some luscious russet and orange silks to make a prezzie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you like anything you see do leave me a message to let me know.